Warning: Full Frontal Lewdity

Saturday, March 26, 2011

RIP Geraldine Ferraro

Geraldine Ferraro is the main reason I became interested in politics. When I was 9, I really didn't care who Walter Mondale was but I wanted him to become president so Geraldine Ferraro could become the first female vice president.  I am sad that she didn't live to see a woman running on the National ticket win, I hope I do.

From Wikipedia -" President Obama said upon her passing that "Geraldine will forever be remembered as a trailblazer who broke down barriers for women, and Americans of all backgrounds and walks of life," and said that his own two daughters would grow up in a more equal country because of what Ferraro had done.[187] Mondale called her "a remarkable woman and a dear human being ... She was a pioneer in our country for justice for women and a more open society. She broke a lot of molds and it's a better country for what she did."[1] George H. W. Bush said, "Though we were one-time political opponents, I am happy to say Gerry and I became friends in time – a friendship marked by respect and affection. I admired Gerry in many ways, not the least of which was the dignified and principled manner she blazed new trails for women in politics."[187] Palin paid tribute to her on Facebook, saying, "She broke one huge barrier and then went on to break many more. May her example of hard work and dedication to America continue to inspire all women."[1] Bill and Hillary Clinton said in a statement that, "Gerry Ferraro was one of a kind – tough, brilliant, and never afraid to speak her mind or stand up for what she believed in – a New York icon and a true American original."[186]"

1 comment:

Kat said...

Other than perhaps Regan getting shot this was probably the political happening that I paid attention to as well! I remember sitting around my grandmother's table (a STAUNCH Democrat) saying "Kathleen...this is history in the making..." I hope she is in a better place now.