Warning: Full Frontal Lewdity

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Rock and Roll through a Poet's Soul

I just finished the best book I've read in 2011.  Granted the year is far from over so I have hopes other good ones will come my way.  But during  the first month of 2011 I read a solid B- or two and a couple stinkers. 

The book I am talking about is "Just Kids" by Patti Smith.  Yes that Patti Smith, Godmother of Punk, Horses, Because the Night Patti Smith.  "Just Kids" conicals the relationship between Patti and fellow artist Robert Mapplethorpe.  Yes that Rober Mapplethorpe.  Beautiful Flowers, Beautiful Nudes, Controversial Rober Mapplethorpe.

The main part of the story takes place in New York City in the late 1960s, early 1970s.  Patti moves to New York City.  She wants to be a poet and artist.  She meets Robert who also is an artist. Although they initially have a romantic relationship the real relationship, the lifelong friendship is based on their mutual love of art.  The two have a desire to create no matter what.  Through most of the book they epitomize the term Starving Artist.  Creating art and living their dreams is more important then jobs, money, food.  Their dedication to each other and their dreams is lovely and inspiring. 

Something I found so interesting about the Patti and Robert is how often they ran into other famous people or made friends with well know artists and musicians.  I think this totally speaks of the day.  Current culture has rock stars and actors going everywhere with a posses, protected by bodyguards, hounded by paparazzi  But in NYC In the 60s and 70s  famous people blend in with the crowd.  Patti meets Allen Ginsburg in an automat.  She and Jimi Hendrix have a quite conversation in a hall way.  Patti writes a poem for Janis Joplin to turn into a song.  Patti and Robert hang out in the same restaurants as Andy Warhol.  All of these relationships be they one time or life long seem as natural as asking your neighbor to borrow a cup of sugar.  There is no pretense.  No"I am famous and better then you attitude".  Of course maybe it's just how Patti remembers it but I was really taken by what a difference 40 years make in terms of how we treat fame and celebrity. 

I only wish there was more of Patti's poetry in the book.  Still, I could go and on about  "Just Kids" but maybe you should just read it yourself. 

No comments: