Warning: Full Frontal Lewdity

Monday, February 7, 2011

What's Up Buttercup?

I was born in 1974.  I was born after Nixon resigned.  As a child I was always proud of that fact but never really knew why.  My mother is fairly political so I guess her feelings rubbed of on me. Although I know I was left with a babysitter sometimes I rarely remember sitters.  However I do remember my parents leaving me to go hear George McGovern Speak.  My mother was also, for a short time, big into the Nuclear Freeze movement.  The only thing I remember about that was that she and a friend threw a rocking party to support the movement.  It was the first time I ever sucked helium to change my voice.  That was the fun side.  The negative side was as a child I was scared shitless of being killed in a Nuclear War.  I blame my mother for even getting the idea in my head.  (Mothers are always to blame it seems) Thank goodness I was never allowed to watch Jane Fonda in the "The Day After" that would have taken me right over the edge.  As it was I would pray every night (back then I still prayed) that there would be no Nuclear War.

Okay that was a bit of tangent.  I am known to go on tangents.  Why blog?  I always joked I wasn't narcissistic enough to blog, but I guess I am.  I have a lot of shit running around in my brain so why not let it out.  Free to ramble and rumble on the interwebs.

Me -

Emily Elizabeth Manuel Powers - The Emily for Dickinson and Suzanne Pleshet's character on the old Bob Newhart show (Chicago shrink, not VT inn keeper).  Elizabeth for my mother's Grandmother.  Manuel, we duh my father's last name.  I do have Mexican blood but we always pronounced Manuel in the Anglo way no Man-well.  And Powers, my married name.  Growing up the feminist in me thought I would keep my maiden name or maybe hyphenate.  However once I was actually getting married I chose to take my sweeties name.  Mostly because I hoped we would have children and wanted us to be a same named family unit.  I didn't hyphenate cuz, well, Manuel-Powers, really??  Ahhh no thanks.  So I only use Manuel for legal document. (Couldn't totally give it up) but not in my daily life.  It is sort of weird being Mrs. Powers but I've been Mrs. Powers for over 12 years now so, ya know, it fits.

Children - I have 3 at home.  All Boys.  All Boy Boys.  Oh boy!  As an only child I never thought I would have all boys, not to mention 3 children.  But we have an awesome family unit, I love being a "Boy Mom".  Also I've saved a lot of dough in hand me downs and toys :) Our family of 5 feels so complete.  I know in my heart there will be no more children for me.  Did you hear that?  I think my vagina just sighed a sigh of relief.

As noted before I am married to my High School Sweetheart.  I have loved him for over 21 years and can not imagine life with out him.  I look forward to the day when our kids are grown and we travel far and wide in our Airstream trailer, music up loud, laughing and drinking wine by moon light.  For now he is an awesome Dad.  I feel lucky he is my partner in this crazy parenting thing.  He is also just a good person and a good man.  The kind of man our boys can look up to.  

Stuff I like - 

Reading
Scrapbooking
Taking naps
Food and Wine
Travel
Laughing
Coffee
Libraries and Book Stores
Being a Mom
Museums
Dicoving new places
Yoga
Art
Going to the movies
Craft Stores
Playgrounds
Getting it On
TV - Don't get all high and mighty on me haters. "Oh I only watch the history channel", "I don't even own a TV"  Shut Up!  I love TV
Politics
Walking in the woods
Swimming
Taking Photographs
Dancing in my kitchen
And on and on..............

2 comments:

Susan L. Manuel said...

Okay, as your mother I must reply. First, as a child I was deathly afraid of the Communists and their nuclear bombs. That's probably why I worked in the Nuclear Freeze campaign.

I hate to tell you this, Em, but we are as endangered today by nuclear weapons as ever. Now it's the terrorists and rogue states we have to fear.

Was there ever a time on earth when any group of people were not terrified of something? I doubt it.

Finally, I will tell you how sorry I am for worrying your little child brain. Had I known of your terror, I would have talked to you about it and, perhaps, said something to mitigate your fear.

At least you were never afraid of clowns or mimes. That's something.

SR Mommy said...

Awww Mummsy, no worries some thoughts kids just don't share because they figure everyone must think the same way as them.

And yes I am not afraid of clowns or mimes but I sure as heck ain't inviting them to dinner. Freaks! Now Lobster Boy on the other hand......